Discovering a city and telling stories about its inhabitants

WORDS - IMAGES - PEOPLE - PLACES


March 29, 2010

DIZ




Today I talked to Diz.


This is the middle of the afternoon. The sun is intense. I stop at a newsstand to find some shade and buy the British Elle. “We sold out…” the lady says. “I love your shades! What are they?” she asks. This is Diz. I like her warm attitude right away.


Diz works six hours a day at this newsstand in Hollywood but the place is open 24/7. She stands on the street to answer people’s questions and check on them if needed. She reads The New York Post every day. “This is how I got so smart!” she bursts out of laughter. Her favorite magazine is Vogue India. “It feels like you’re reading a book about beauty, fashion and photography”, she says. “It’s all about famous people from Bollywood. I don’t know about them, don’t even know how to pronounce their names but they’re nice”.


Originally Diz is from Boston, Massachusetts. She says that her sing-songi accent comes from there. She laughs willingly after each sentence. Her style is unique too. She wears a red tartan skirt, a vintage jacket, vintage Jean-Louis Scherrer sunglasses, and square brown shoes. The badge on her shoulder reads “American Legion of Illinois”. Each of her fingers is decorated with at least two rings. While a white haired man is paying for his newspaper, Diz continues our conversation. She tells me she has two hundred pairs of shoes displayed in her house. In her refrigerator, she keeps two hundred and fifty nail polish. “I put my champagne there too, and milk and eggs”, she says with a smile.


Every person who passes by the stand seems to know her. It looks like she is completely part of the neighborhood. Incidentally she lives by the Hollywood sign. “I live under the D like Diz”, she says in an amused voice.


Today the temperature is surprisingly high. Diz and I stay in the shade. “At home I have a Wizard of Oz shrine, a Marilyn Monroe shrine and an Auntie Mame shrine”. Auntie Mame is a 1950’s movie. The main character is Diz’ idol. “She is an eccentric glamorous lady who gets rich, and then poor, and then rich, and then poor, and spends all her money on clothes and friends. This is how I’d like to live my life”.


A chubby woman rushes to Diz and speaks in a semi-whisper: “I’ve got a script. Do you know someone at Disney?” Diz nods but does not answer. The woman leaves. Mysterious encounter. I ask Diz if she will be able to help her. “I see a lot of things. I have my nails on the pulse of the city”, she utters. It makes me wonder. Is she some kind of doorkeeper? Is she the secret path that leads to the Hollywood studios? The shaman who knows the sacred words? She definitely looks like one… I am interrupted in my thoughts when a wiry man rushes by and addresses Diz “Hello beautiful!”


Everything in this buoyant woman is unexpected. When I ask Diz if I could take a picture of her, she rushes inside the shop. “Let me put some more lipstick”. Then, she strikes an unconventional pose, displaying her nails around her face. When she finally sees the Polaroid picture, she exclaims: “Shee-whiz, that’s fa-bu-lous! My lipstick came out perfectly.”


More customers arrive. It’s time for me to leave. Diz hugs me warmly: “It all started with our shades”, she says. “Now we’re friends. You can always fly by”. I will for sure.









13 comments:

  1. charming story Laurence, I like your writing style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooooooooooooooooooove the piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiics!!!!!!
    My sis you rock - and you move me with your words.
    love, g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diz is one of my dearest friends, and you have done a wonderful job of capturing her essence.

    She is a true original with a heart of 24k gold. Diz has her own language, her own vernacular. Money is "dough". Restaurants are "joints" as in "burger joint". Mother is "mamma", and pig latin is reserved for those special moments.

    Diz greets one and all, rich and poor, famous and infamous, as dear friends. I consider myself blessed to have her in my life.

    Ta, Ta (one of her many sign offs)

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait -- is that Diz McNally from Nickelodeon's "Out of Control"? I'd recognize those nails anywhere...

    I just found this blog, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it's totally her! thanks for pointing this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. diz is perhapz the mozt pleazant, agreeable perzon you'd ever wanna meet. i treazure her friendzhip and the few timez we are able to get together! thank you for capturing the ezzence of thiz wonderful gal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Derbeh! Diz is definitely a precious star.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure how I found this blog, but as everyone here says, Diz is definately a one of a kind person. A wonderful gal and someone I will never foget. She & I used to work together at a place called Radion in Hollywood and no one could capture the moment quite like Diz could. One of her favorite things she used to do was to whistle with her voice. If you ever heard someone yell "EE O EE", "EE O EE", you knew it was Diz. I would not be at all surprized if she stil greets and says goodbye that same way today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diz is a weird, beautiful entity whose Janis Joplin interpretation I will never forget! Love that laugh and those nails. You wrote an excellent verbal portrait of her. If you are out there Diz - I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diz is a distant cousin of mine. Even though I never met her I know that if she's anything like her parents she's a very sweet and kind person. I would love the opportunity to meet her someday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey great story!! I found this blog researching this store I am a wannabe LA historian :) self taught but sometimes that's better cause we live it I think I'm pretty good though LOL the history and archives for some reason are almost non existent IDK why this is the hardest one to crack however I know it has been there since 1912 ... total dead end if you know anything I'd love to hear. And if you need any info yourself on other places feel free to ask I was born and raised in Hollywood I can help you most 98% of the time I hope with questions you might have. I just love history especially my cities and I think it is important to know and spread facts as often as possible!! Life is short again great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just noticed I am sorry I put my comment on the wrong story. My comment was for Las Palamas Market but page reloaded during commenting I assumed I was at the same place on the blog my bad :)

    ReplyDelete