Discovering a city and telling stories about its inhabitants

WORDS - IMAGES - PEOPLE - PLACES


August 30, 2010

ASTRID




Today I talked to Astrid.

It kind of sounds funny to me even to write about it because I never thought I would do it one day, but I have decided to do headshots. Living in Los Angeles has finally got me. Sometimes, I see the entertainment industry like an old lady who doesn't let herself be impressed by new comers. There are rules to follow, and one of them is to carry your headshots around. Even if you are not an actor. The photo shoot is just part of the L.A. life. Like gondola riding in Venice, bullfighting in Seville, or wine tasting in Bordeaux. You just need to do it once, that's all.

I met Astrid through common friends. She is a dynamic brunette who speaks fast both in English and French. She is a photographer, graphic designer and musician. When she enters my apartment, carrying two large photo bags, reflectors, and background material, she is all business. My make-up is not finished yet but she is fine with that. In front of the bathroom mirror, I put some face powder, a light sparkly color on my eyelids, and arrange my hair. Astrid sits on the toilet seat and watches me in silence. She is getting ready for the session too. "Each shoot is unique," she says. "I adapt to the person and her personal vibe. I never know where it's gonna go, but when we get there it's like a dance." The make-up is done. "You look like a doll," she says, and she smiles warmly. Then I show her the clothes I have prepared and spread on my bed. We decide to start the shoot with the cool colors and end with the warm ones.

Astrid loves still images. With her company, Purple Red, she has been creating movie posters since she moved to Los Angeles from Paris, eight years ago. Recently, she started doing more and more photo shoots because it allows her to interact with people. She experiences unique and intimate moments with them. "I'm tired of working alone in front of my computer. I crave for more sharing right now," she says. Since Astrid prefers to work with natural light, we get out on the balcony. "We'll start with something simple, so you can make yourself comfortable," she says. She puts a newspaper on a tiny table and a cup of coffee next to it. It is 10am and the sunlight is extremely bright. So she grabs four clips and a piece of white cloth, and creates a roller blind with all that. The balcony becomes cozy. I sit down and start asking her questions (in a lame attempt to cover the stress), when I realize that the shoot has already started. Astrid asks me to remain silent because: "if I don't, the pictures will come out bad," she says. 

After maybe fifteen or twenty minutes, we decide to change the outfit and find a new location. I change my tank top to a blue vintage shirt, and we get out of the apartment. In an alley behind the garage, we find a dirty gray wall that stands next to a few old cars parked behind a gate. Astrid continues shooting. She stands deeply rooted on her feet and moves in rhythm to an inaudible music. I giggle awkwardly thinking to myself that I would rather be the one taking the pictures and that modeling is definitely a hard job...

Four outfits and three hours later, I am standing at the front door of an orange Spanish-style house. Astrid has removed the doormat and the ad hanging at the door. My feet hurt from  standing in high heels, and I am thirsty and hot. Astrid watches me patiently. She smiles. "Do what you feel to do," she says. So I throw my shoes away and start to play hide and seek in the surroundings. "Here we go," she whispers. And I see her smile peak from behind the camera. The dance has finally begun. "Now, we're done," she says."I've got some really good ones." Thanks to Astrid, I did it. I had a memorable photo shoot experience in the streets of L.A.. But it is time to reverse the roles and it feels good to be behind the camera again. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment